Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Bittersweet

We had something really exciting happen this week--something that we've been wanting for months.  We found renters for our old house!!  They are a sweet, young couple who are looking for a place to settle for a few years, especially since they are expecting their first child.  As mentioned in my About the Manor page, our old house is located beside our new one.  So we basically were able to handpick our own neighbors.  I'm especially excited that they're expecting, since I love having babies around!  We're not quite ready for another, so this should give me a nice, temporary baby fix :)

I don't blog about our old house, since most of our time is spent doing projects around our new home.  But if you have read my About the Manor page, you'll see that our old house was a complete DIY project.  We did alllll the renovations ourselves--sheet rock, plumbing, electrical, flooring, painting, etc.  I always knew I was a "DIY" kind of gal, but my interests towards anything DIY were heightened after this massive reno with my amazing love!  

I'll be honest:  the sentiment towards the house hasn't set in until this week.  It's been vacant for almost 6 months, and I guess it still felt like "ours".  Of course we still own it, but it is now going to be occupied by someone else--a family that is going to make their own memories in this house.  Make it their home.  

We finished up some painting and other small projects on it over the weekend, and the emotions hit me as I began the final clean.  I kept going through the rooms, calling them by their former names.  Heath would say something like, "It will always be Ian's room, won't it?", and I'd feel my stomach drop a little.  We've been in such a craze to just get it done and get it rented, that I haven't stopped to think about it.

Yes, it will always be our first home.  The place we spent a year and a half of our dating/engaged lives renovating.  Where we began our married life together.  Where we brought home our sweet doxie, Bailey shortly after we wed because I just HAD to have a puppy.  Where we brought home our son, Ian on a rainy, February night in 2010, and watched him grow by leaps and bounds for 2 1/2 years.  Where we hosted friends and family for meals, parties, and holiday gatherings.  Where we celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, and promotions.  Where we mourned the deaths of family members and friends.

We wouldn't be where we are today with that house.  And for this, we will be forever grateful.

Erin

4 comments:

  1. I jumped over to your blog from the comment you left on mine recently.

    Congratulations!! I know exactly how you feel signing up new tenants. My husband's first home is also a rental house for us, except it's 20 minutes across town. We spent the last 5 weekends making repairs after the previous tenants left it in bad shape, so I'm sure living next door and being better about picking who moves in will help you out a great deal when they move out.

    We were supposed to have new tenants sign a lease on Friday too, but they backed out at the last minute :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly. It's been a little nerve-wrecking lately, even though we are really comfortable with our new tenants. We're almost a week in now, and so far so good. I hope you can find tenants soon for yours!

      Delete
  2. I nominated you for the Liebster award, go to my blog to get the details :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I'll check it out :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! Keep 'em coming!